Erectile dysfunction is a health issue that no man wants to discuss, but almost 40% of men over the age of 40 and 70% of men 65 and older experience some form of it. It’s a surprisingly common issue that can be treated. In order to find the right treatment options for you, it’s important to discover what could be causing your performance issues.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction, also known as ED, is characterized by the difficulty to achieve and maintain an erection. It can also mean an uncharacteristically low sex drive that makes it difficult to perform when the time is right.
Causes of ED
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by a large variety of different factors, and these will affect the types of treatment that will work for you.
- Heart Disease – A decrease in healthy blood flow to your heart can also affect the blood flow to your penis, which makes staying or getting erect extremely difficult.
- Alcohol – Even a healthy young man will have problems in the bedroom if he has consumed too much alcohol because it slows down blood flow.
- High Blood Pressure – Any issue that affects the flow of blood in your body will also affect your ability to become erect.
- Diabetes – If you do not maintain your blood sugar at normal levels, it can deaden sensitive nerves and even damage the arteries in your penis. It is important to maintain a healthy eating and exercise plan to manage your diabetes.
- Medications – Unfortunately, ED is a side effect of certain medications.
- Obesity – Being overweight can contribute to things like heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes – all of which affect your sexual health.
- Performance Anxiety – If you are nervous in the bedroom, it can psych you out and prevent you from performing.
- Low Testosterone – Lower testosterone levels will negatively affect your sex drive and sexual ability.
- Prostate Issues – ED can be a sign of a much more dangerous condition like prostate cancer.
If you are experiencing erectile dysfunction, speak to a doctor at Pinnacle Men’s Health. We can provide a variety of treatment options for erectile dysfunction in Pittsburgh, PA and revitalize your sexual health.